Quick posting about our experiences when updating RU2 to our clustered VMM 2012R2 SPF and other Azure Pack components. Operation Manger, Orchestrator or DPN is not covered.
Our test installment consist clustered VMM (2 node) with separate failover SQL-instance. SPF is in own server and then we have a distributed Azure pack installation.
Before starting we stopped accepting new connection to tenant or admin portal on load balancing.
Before updating RU2 note that KB2802159 says:
- If you download Update Rollup 2 for Virtual Machine Manager from Microsoft Update Catalog and install Update Rollup 2 without uninstalling Update Rollup 1, you should uninstall Update Rollup 2 for Virtual Machine Manager and then uninstall Update Rollup 1 for Virtual Machine Manager by using the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
- If you use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to update Virtual Machine Manager and you have already installed Update Rollup 1 for Virtual Machine Manager, then you will not receive the Update Rollup 2 notification until Update Rollup 1 is uninstalled.
Our working order was:
- Snapshot Guest OS and backup SQL Server database
- Uninstalled RU1 (both nodes) (we already had this Update)
- Update VMM server RU2 package to VMM node 1 and rebooted server
- Update VMM administrator console RU2
package to node 1
- Update VMM server package RU2
to VMM node 2 and rebooted server
- Update VMM consoleRU2
package to node 2
- Run SQL script to VMM database as a sysadmin privileges
- Opened VMM console and refreshed cluster status
- Updated VMM Host agents
- Made a Snapshot Guest OS’s
- Backed up web.config (we have edited default web.config)
- Shutdown IIS web sites
- After update we noticed to IIS won’t start due the certificate conflict (we had two certificates with same name). So we made manually SSL certificate binding to SPF web site and it started as expected.
Read article before updating: kb2932946
On Azure Pack we deployed the RU2 through WSUS server.
- Made a Snapshot Guest OS’s
- Installed packages as a normal updates
After installation billing adapted didn’t work correctly.
Note that kb2932946 says:
On the computer that contains the Usage Collector, create a backup of the Usage Collector Site and Application Pool settings by running the following two appcmd commands:
%systemroot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config /section:applicationPools /[name=’MgmtSvc-UsageCollector’].name:MgmtSvc-UsageCollector.backup
Before restoring we decided to check out what went wrong with billing:
First of all we have create a custom user for billing:
Set-MgmtSvcSetting -Namespace UsageService -Name Username -Value 'TEST_Blling_USR'
Set-MgmtSvcSetting -Namespace UsageService -Name Password -Value 'xxx' –Encode
(where xxx is our secret password)
After Update we checked the Usage Service user account and noticed that it was changed to UsageUSR:
Then we just re-setup the username and password.